How Long Does It Take to Charge an Electric Vehicle?
Are you wondering, “how long does it take to charge an electric car?” In Red Lion, there are several different factors to consider when it comes to electric car charging times. From different plugs and ports to charging adapters, you won’t be tied to one single charging method. EV charging time varies depending on which of these options you have available. How long your vehicle will take to charge depends on what type, make, and model of EV you drive, too.
Different EVs have different battery packs with varying charging times equipped to those packs. There are three main types of EV charging: domestic charging, rapid domestic charging, and public charging. Each of these methods will ultimately determine your EV charging time. We’ll explore each below with more in-depth information!
EV Charging Time Options
- Domestic Outlet Home Charging (Level 1 Charging): With level 1 Charging, you’ll get a slower charging speed with a grounded, three-prong 110V/120V charging outlet. This sounds slow, but it’s a good option for finishing off a charge. You can expect Level 1 Charging to take around 24 hours or more to get to a full charge on your vehicle.
- Installed Brand-Approved Domestic Charging (Level 2 Charging): Level 2 Charging is generally professionally installed and is made for your specific brand of car. Level 2 Charging uses rapid, 240V+ chargers most often, with much faster charging rates compared to Level 1 Charging. DC fast chargers are also common compared to AC chargers. And with Level 2 Charging, it’s possible to get around 80% of a charge in about half an hour or forty minutes. But, that extra 20% may take longer to charge due to a diminished charging rate.
- Public Charging Options: York drivers can often find charging stations at big-name stores, and public charging stations are being added all around the country each day. These kinds of charging stations vary in speed but are often closer to Level 2 Charging speeds. Some public charging stations are emissions-free, offering renewable options like solar panels and wind turbines.
Expected Domestic Charging Electric Car Charging Time
Domestic car charging times will vary depending on your available charging level options:
- Level 1 EV Charging: It will likely take days to fully charge your vehicle.
- Level 2 EV Charging: It will likely take hours to fully charge your vehicle. A full night of Level 2 Charging will likely fully recharge your electric car.
- Level 3 EV Charging: It will likely take around an hour or so to fully charge your electric vehicle. You’ll likely gain a large chunk of range if you charge your vehicle for around ten minutes.
Level 3 EV Charging is generally only offered at select public locations, but it’s faster than Level 1 or Level 2 Charging. Most EV owners mix Level 3 and Level 2 charging most days. If you’re planning for longer trips or drives, you’ll be able to rely on Level 3 Charging stations to quickly charge your vehicle.
Do you drive a plug-in hybrid? A plug-in hybrid will take 1-4 hours to fully charge when compared to an electronic vehicle. Hybrids utilize both electric and gas power to operate, with a gas-powered engine working in conjunction with an electric motor.
Public Charging EV Charging Time
Your home charging station will most likely offer 3.7kW or 7 kW charging, and public charging stations offer 22 kW charging, 43-50 kW rapid charging, and 150 kW rapid charging. It’s possible for you to get a 100% charge in an hour or so for some vehicles. For other vehicles, it could take 4-11 hours for a 100% charge.
Discover Your Next Electric Vehicle at Susquehanna Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram!
Be sure to explore our inventory today to find your next electronic car at Susquehanna Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram. Still curious about EVs? Learn the benefits of an electric car for yourself before stopping by. Also, be sure to apply for financing online so you’re aware of your financing options!
More from Susquehanna Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
Susquehanna Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram customers in the Red Lion area have access to top-tier luxury via the 2022 Grand Wagoneer interior. Impressive comfort levels and endless features make this one of the brand’s most impressive efforts in the luxury department. Whether you want spacious dimensions that allow easy relaxation or electronic hardware to keep you connected, you surely…
Jeep is known for its sporty, off-road-ready vehicles, which explains why models like the new Jeep Compass are packed with plenty of space and technology for the adventures ahead. Look forward to every drive with nearly 30 cubic feet of cargo volume behind the second row, and technologies like a Wi-Fi hotspot and smartphone…
If you’re in the market for a rugged new vehicle around Red Lion, it’s worth checking out the 2022 Jeep Gladiator. The new Jeep Gladiator has all the latest performance, technology, and safety features available and is one of the most anticipated vehicles on the Wrightsville roads. So, how much is a Jeep Gladiator? Learn…